Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

The innocence of a child

   The other day Zane and I were driving to town and talking. He was asking me what different guns were for. He has a 22 and wanted to know if it could kill a deer. I said it could but it was against the law to do so. Time went on as we talked about shotguns and such. Seeing a bunch of holes in a road sign Zane asked what machine guns were for. I told him that they were made to kill people. He thought about this for a while and finally asked,"why would they make them to shoot people ?"
    This made me wonder how the world looked to him. Is it a good place filled with happy and good people. Is it a place of wonder and childish fun? What is going on in that six year old mind? It was hard for me to even try to rut myself in his shoes.
   After a lifetime of the real horrors of this world I could not even begin to think like he does. How wonderful the world must seem to him. I cannot even remember a time when I thought like him. Of course I did have a rough start.
     I would love to have some of that childhood innocence back. Waking in the morning thinking how great the world is, excited about the day. It makes me sad that one day he too will loose this innocence,but I hope it is not soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment